I’m sure I’ve said it before but breakfast really is my favourite meal of the day. Often I’m thinking about what I’ll have for breakfast the next morning at night before I go to bed.
This berry nice porridge (sorry, just had to use that pun) is so quick and simple to whip up and makes for the perfect healthy weekday breakfast.
It’s one of my go-to staples for Molly, because she loves porridge for breakfast and can be on the table in under five-minutes.
Coconut oil is such a good healthy fat to add to both yours and your child’s diet. It boosts immunity and stops sugar cravings among a bevy of other health benefits. Some nutritionists suggest eating up to four teaspoons a day.
Berries are great source of antioxidants. I used strawberries and blackberries on the day of cooking the above porridge but I regularly change it up and use whatever berries I have in the fridge.
And finally chia seeds may be small, but they’re the highest plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids, which among other things helps to boost brain activity. Perfect for the whole family.
This recipe will serve one adult and one (hungry) toddler.
* 1 cup fine cut oats (also known as quick oats)
* 2 small handfuls of fresh berries (I used strawberries and blackberries for the above porridge)
* 2 teaspoons coconut oil
* 2 teaspoons chia seeds
* 1 to 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
* 1 and 1/2 cups of water
1. Place oats and water into a large microwavable bowl and microwave on high for two minutes.
2. While the oats are cooking rinse and chop the berries.
3. Stir porridge and return to microwave for a further two minutes.
4. When porridge has finished cooking stir through berries, coconut oil, coconut and chia seeds.
5. Serve and enjoy
If you liked this recipe don’t forget to check out my other easy and delicious breakfast recipes.
* Make sure you choose a large enough bowl to cook the oats in. I have had numerous disasters where I haven’t chosen a large enough bowl and ended up with a very messy microwave.
* Get to know your microwave. Your oats may take shorter or longer depending on its power.
And keep connected with Good Baby Kitchen on Facebook so you never miss a post! xxx