For such a bland looking vegetable cauliflower is surprisingly nutrient rich. It provides one of the highest sources of calcium for a vegetable, with just 1/2 a cup of cauliflower containing 50 per cent of your recommended daily intake.
It’s also high in vitamin K — which is essential for the production of blood clotting factors — and high in folate which is super important for growing little bodies.
This cauliflower mash with cottage cheese is so tasty and goes well as a side to any meat dish.
* 1/2 cauliflower (around 500g)
* 200g full fat cottage cheese
1. Remove florets of cauliflower from the stem and place in a steamer.
2. Steam for 15 minutes on high heat or until cauliflower is soft.
3. Remove lid from steamer and allow to stand for 5 minutes to ensure cauliflower is not too wet, resulting in a sloppy mash.
4. Place cauliflower and cottage cheese in a bowl and mash until a desired consistency. You can also place ingredients in a food processor and whiz for about a minute if you want a smooth puree.
* This freezes really well. I freeze any leftover mash into cubes and place in a snap lock bag to make for easy meals for Molly.
And keep connected with Good Baby Kitchen on Facebook so you never miss a post! xxx