This week has been a HUUUUUGGGEE week for me. I went back to work full time after almost a year on maternity leave.
I’m a political journalist and of course the very week I come back to work there is a call for a leadership spill, with the potential for a new Prime Minister next week. Translation = my week was CRAZY. Further translation = next week, when the spill will actually go ahead, is going to be even more CRAZY.
So I’ve decided I need some TLC tomorrow morning. Sunday morning pikelets are my favourite any time of the year, but I think I’m going to savour these even more given the turbulent return to my working life.
These pikelets are egg and sugar free and are great for freezing too. They’re so simple to make and I bet you’ll have all the ingredients already in your cupboard and fridge. I generally serve these with some sugar-free jam or raspberries and yoghurt. Yummy.
Enjoy! And hope your week is much less crazy than mine.
* 2 cups self-raising flour
* 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
* 2 cups milk
* Knob of butter to grease the frying pan (optional)
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Heat a non-stick frying pan on medium-low heat and grease with a bit of butter if desired.
3. Place tablespoons of the mixture into the frying pan and spread slightly to make a round pikelet.
4. Cook for around 2 minutes on the first side or until bubbles start to form in the mixture. I generally lift the pikelet slightly from the pan to see if it has started to go golden on the other side.
5. Flip pikelets and cook for another 1-2 minutes on remaining side.
* These pikelets are great for freezing in batches and making for easy snacks or breakfast options during the week.
I think this little cheeky monkey likes her pikelets…
And keep connected with Good Baby Kitchen on Facebook so you never miss a post! xxx