Hummus is a favourite in our household. But if I’m really honest, sometimes i find the standard version a bit boring.
This sweet potato hummus is a great way to liven up your next dip-making adventure, it’s super easy to make and is also packed with extra nutrients. A perfect way to sneak in an extra serving of vegetables to your family’s diet.
Sweet potatoes are fabulous vegetables when it comes to nutrients. They contain vitamins D, B6 and C. Are a source of iron — which is perfect for growing little bodies — and are a good source of magnesium which is a proven anti-stress mineral.
Just think, at your next BBQ you can not only brag to all your guests about making the dip yourself but you can claim that you’re actually reducing their stress levels too! Win-win.
I generally serve this to Molly with some cut up cucumbers and carrots. Or I spread it on bread or crackers. Delicious.
* 180g sweet potato
* 400g can of chick peas
* 3 tablespoons tahini paste
* 2 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
1. Peel and cut sweet potato into 2-3cm cubes.
2. Steam sweet potato for around 15 minutes or until soft.
3. While sweet potato is cooking, drain and rinse chick peas.
4. Place chick peas, tahini paste, garlic, paprika and water in a food processor.
5. Add sweet potato to food processor and blend for several minutes until a smooth thick paste forms.
6. Place in a bowl and serve. Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
* You can find tahini paste in supermarkets or your local health food store.